Little White School Museum, 2017
The Pearce Cemetery, another family burying ground, was established in 1845 in the
northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of Sec 17, Oswego Township on land owned by
pioneer settler Daniel Pearce. Daniel Pearce, along with this brothers John and Walter,
and their brother-in-law William Smith Wilson were the first permanent settlers in
Oswego Township, arriving in the spring of 1833.
The cemetery is situated just above Waubonsie Creek on Pfund Court, named after the
The first burial in the Pearce Cemetery was Josephine, the little daughter of Henry A.
Clarke. Clarke was an early settler, arriving in 1830s, who also kept store in
downtown Oswego. Clarke, too, was buried there following his death in 1862
Also buried in the cemetery are many members of the pioneer Pearce family, including
Daniel and his wife.
The cemetery was owned by the Pearce Cemetery Association before ownership was
assumed by Oswego Township.
Pearce Cemetery is active.
Click Here for directions to Pearce Cemetery.